• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you think PS3 will be the Dreamcast of this gen

Jeremy

Staff
Administrator
Site Owner
Peach 🍑
Banana 🍌
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Island
Númenor
Red Pansy
White Pansy
White Pansy
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Purple Violet
White Lily
Red Lily
Yellow Lily
By that I mean do you think Sony will discontinue it? Dropping the price seems like they are doing everything they can to get people to actually buy it. When [/if] people still don't buy it, what do you think will happen?

no

and it isnt uncommon for prices to be dropped

It may very well be, unfortunately. But I don't know price has been the main problem from what I see so maybe price drops will help.

If the PS3 fails they can always take out all the fancy gaming stuff and just leave the B.R. player in.

I dunno'...

I don't think they'd discontinue it...it isn't doing that bad (right?)...

You guys DO know what happened, right? This price drop is non-existent. They're pulling the lower price PS3 from the market in August and substituting it with the PS3 80 gig + Motorstorm bundle... for $599.

Yeah, it was more like a liquidation. Anyway, I dunno. They're losing money, but Sony's very stubborn, I doubt it.

But isn't it kind of stupid, though? Sony obviously thinks the gaming market is the same as, say, the TV market... You lower a price on a TV for a limited time, sell out, and introduce a new TV with some better features but at the same original price as the old TV.

Bulerias said:
But isn't it kind of stupid, though? Sony obviously thinks the gaming market is the same as, say, the TV market... You lower a price on a TV for a limited time, sell out, and introduce a new TV with some better features but at the same original price as the old TV.
Yah, they said they think it'll DOUBLE the sales. It's really not going to do much of anything. If people want a PS3, they'll buy one. And since it's actually not getting a lower price, it's just getting more GB, I don't think it's going to allow someone who couldn't afford it before be able to afford it now.

I was talking to my dad about this and he said "of course not, the PS3 is the cheapest blu ray player on the market thats the whole reason I bought it."

Now that I think about it, that IS the truth.

JJRamone2 said:
I was talking to my dad about this and he said "of course not, the PS3 is the cheapest blu ray player on the market thats the whole reason I bought it."

Ah. He does have a point there...

JJRamone2 said:

Yah, but you also need a demand for Blu Ray. But there's a huge demand for HDDVDs as well. If people want to buy the cheapest Blu Ray player, why haven't they?

STORMCOMMANDER said:
JJRamone2 said:

Yah, but you also need a demand for Blu Ray. But there's a huge demand for HDDVDs as well. If people want to buy the cheapest Blu Ray player, why haven't they?
I didn't buy one for a while, mainly because we never got around to buying one and because our TV and projector at the time were only 720p not 1080p and we were waiting to get something can can display 1080p to get the best visuals.

JJRamone2 said:

I saw a Blu-Ray player at my local Costco for $400.

Bulerias said:
JJRamone2 said:

I saw a Blu-Ray player at my local Costco for $400.
Was it on sale?

I still don't have an HDTV, so.. there's no point in me having a Blu-Ray player :wacko:

Back