• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pokemon: A Rundown

SL92

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
With the upcoming releases of Pokemon Diamond and Pokemon Pearl, the first pair of Pokemon RPGs for the Nintendo DS, I've decided to take a look at the generations of the franchise.

First off, something about myself. Pokemon is my favorite Nintendo franchise. Pokemon Red was the first Nintendo game I've ever seen. Pokemon Blue was the first Nintendo game I've ever owned, and the first game I've ever bought. The charm with Pokemon is, especially to a young four-year-old me, it is a complicated system of levels and experience all wrapped up with a simple, easy to understand, goal. Simple battle mechanics. Simple graphics. Simple moves. Simplicity at it's best.

The first generation of Pokemon, Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue (Pocket Monsters Red and Pocket Monsters Green in Japan) for the Gameboy, was the start of Pokemon. I had Pokemon Blue. In all, this is my second favorite Pokemon game. It was unlike any other game I'd played before. It had an understandable storyline with an easy fight-and-catch system. I spent hours playing this game, then restarted it, then whittle away more hours exploring Kanto.

When Pokemon Stadium was released, a few months before Pokemon Gold and Silver, I thought there was a future for Pokemon games on consoles. Sure it was just a spin-off, but the possibilities were endless. Better graphics, bigger map, more items, were just some of the things that were possible for an actual Pokemon console game. Maybe there will be one someday.

The second generation of Pokemon, Pokemon Gold and Silver for the Gameboy Color, introduced 100 new Pokemon, a whole new region to explore,(Johto) new items, a new character, advanced graphics, day, morning, evening, and night phases,(each with different Pokemon) Pokemon eggs from the daycare, genders, rematches with trainers, and a second map that showed Kanto three years after Blue and Red. That really got me excited. And, for all reasons just mentioned, Pokemon Gold became my favorite Pokemon game so far.

In all fairness, I hardly ever mention Pokemon when I list my top few games. I should, but it always slips my mind. I always took Pokemon for granted. Well, if I were to place it right now, Pokemon Gold would knock Superstar Saga from my number two spot.

Third Generation: The Gameboy Advance. These two games, Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, really were the most interesting games I've ever played. They strayed very far from their predecessors. There was no mention of the Kanto region,(well maybe an easter egg or two) or it's storyline. There was no change in time, it was always day. This was dissapointing, I thought it would be a mainstay for Pokemon games. They had loads of new Pokemon and most of the original ones. It did introduce some key new concepts, though. Reflections in water, weather, contests, two kinds of bikes, and a save-the-world storyline. I can rant on about this game being different from the rest, but I'll spare you the trouble or reading.

I never even looked twice at Pokemon Colosseum. My dreams of a classic Pokemon RPG on a home console were shattered. Sangging other trainer's Pokemon? No wild battles? Unbelievable. It went against what I thought Pokemon was.

But this is a suprise, many people consider Pokemon LeafGreen and FireRed the second half of the Gameboy Advance generation. I always considered them their own generation, though. Oh well. These two are remakes of the original Blue and Red games. Once again, I need to mention that they still didn't bring back the night-and-day system. This pair of games, however, introduced a Help system, which I found might be very useful for showing new Pokefans the ropes. What's this? Why did I buy one of these games if they're just revamped Blues and Reds? Well, these two had ALL 386 POKEMON from previous games. Also, they had the Sevii Islands, seven new places for the protagonist to explore.

In between generations there are always Pokemon spin-offs, many of which I haven't mentioned. Pokemon Pinball, as an example, was for the Gameboy Color and featured two pinball fields where players tried to collect all 150 Pokemon. The most successful spin-off that I know of is Pokemon XD. Coming out a year after LeafGreen/FireRed, this game showed off a "shadow" theme: Shadow Pokemon, Shadow moves, a snazzy Shadow Lugia on the front. The thing I liked about this game that drew me to it? You could catch wild Pokemon. Snagging? It was still there. Oh well.

Now we've arrived at the fourth generation of Pokemon. With the upcoming release of Diamond and Pearl in North America, let's all hope these games measure up to their predecessors.

You didn't mention the Pokemon Card games for the GBC

And Pokemon Snap which is my favorite Pokemon game ever

As for your post, not my favorite, seemed a little repetitive at times.

Propaganda Man said:

Well, I said I didn't mention some spin-offs. Sorry for excluding Snap, I loved it too.

Repetitive? Nah. I'm not repetitive. Am I repetitive? I never noticed I'm repetitive. Maybe I'm repetitive. If I was repetitive, it was probably to put emphasis on things.
<small><small><small><small><small><small><small>RepetitiveRepetitiveRepetitiveRepetitiveRepetitiveRepetitive</small></small></small></small></small></small></small>

Thanks for reading, though.

Wow! Its actually been a very similar situation for me...my first Nintendo game played/owned was Pokemon Red.

Can't wait for the new one, and great post!

Propaganda Man said:

Yeah, I have Stadium, Stadium 2, TCG, Pinball, Snap, and Colosseum. The one game that actually had a real story (Stadiums and TCG kinda had stories) sucked, aka Colosseum.

Sl, I agree with everything you said there except a few things. There really wasn't anything in the games that really made me say say why couldn't they have put that in (besides the PC for R/B/G/S) and how you were complaining about the day/night/time. Anyways, I bet P/D is going to be a success.

I need to point one thing out:

The second generation of Pokemon, Pokemon Gold and Silver for the Gameboy Color, introduced 100 new Pokemon, a whole new region to explore,(Hoenn) new items, a new character, advanced graphics, day, morning, evening, and night phases,(each with different Pokemon) Pokemon eggs from the daycare, genders, rematches with trainers, and a second map that showed Kanto three years after Blue and Red. That really got me excited. And, for all reasons just mentioned, Pokemon Gold became my favorite Pokemon game so far.

It's Johto! Johto!

Tom the Warrior said:

The second generation of Pokemon, Pokemon Gold and Silver for the Gameboy Color, introduced 100 new Pokemon, a whole new region to explore,(Hoenn) new items, a new character, advanced graphics, day, morning, evening, and night phases,(each with different Pokemon) Pokemon eggs from the daycare, genders, rematches with trainers, and a second map that showed Kanto three years after Blue and Red. That really got me excited. And, for all reasons just mentioned, Pokemon Gold became my favorite Pokemon game so far.

It's Johto! Johto!
Oh, yeah...he's right.

Favorite Pokemon Games:

Gold
Crystal
TGC GBC
Yellow

I hated Colleseium. I was waiting for a 3D PokeRPG, but that's not what I wanted. Shadow Pokemon... Meh.

Gengar said:
Tom the Warrior said:

It's Johto! Johto!
Oh, yeah...he's right.
Oops. Thanks for reading, everyone

^_^

Shadow_] [quote="Gengar said:
Tom the Warrior said:

It's Johto! Johto!
Oh, yeah...he's right.
Oops. Thanks for reading, everyone

^_^ [/quote]
Lol, your welcome. Anything that has to do with Pokemon and I'm interested.

Back