• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Crying In Videogames (slight TP spoilers)

Bulerias

Co-Founder of TBT
Retired Staff
Orange 🍊
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
I know this seems like an awfully girly topic, but please bear with me. Have any of you guys ever cried in a video game? As we all know, some video games, though often video games are labeled as electronic toys with no emotional and moral value, contain very emotional moments that wring at the hearstrings. For some people, these kinds of games are Final Fantasy, for some, Zelda and Fire Emblem trigger the waterworks, but for some it's something entirely different. If you ask me, a video game is like a book... An interactive novel, if you will. Not only does the player see everything through the heroes eyes more in-depth than in a book if the game has solid character development, so that only enhances the experience. But I digress; the main question is, have you ever cried due to an emotional moment in a video game? What was the game that trigged your first such reaction, and when was the latest time it happened? Feel free to expand no the topic, as well.

For me personally, I distinctly remember crying near the end of Ocarina of Time, but not for the usual reasons. It wasn't because of the melancholic and bitter-sweet ending, but it was because of Ganondorf. I adored him as a character back in the day, and I still consider him to be the best Nintendo character ever, so when I witnessed him being sent to the Sacred Realm like that... Just tugged at my hearstrings for some reason. He seemed deranged, but at the same time, an added depth was implied... A sort of melancholic depth. Ganondorf seemed to be depressed and sad, but that topic was only explored more fully in Wind Waker.

As for when this sort of incident happened a short time ago, it was a moment in Twilight Princess... If you guys remember, there was a part in the game where, right after Link frees Hyrule from the Twilight, Link is in his wolf form and has to walk across Hyrule Town, and all of the people are scared of the wolf... The music during that segment was just so emotional, I couldn't help but let it all go. That was my favorite part in Twilight Princess... It truly showcased the mood of game like no other moment, and if not for that sequence, I would probably not like Twilight Princess as much as I do. The game created a feeling of... loneliness... A feeling that nobody gave a damn about you. It was just so sad...

In any case, that's about it for me. What about you guys?

Cry? no but I have felt. Like any good movie a good game can change your emotions...

But Gannondorf in OoT? no... he was an evil self obsessed being wanting only power, and wealth.

Now in Wind Waker, that one made me feel sorry for Gannondorf. That speech he gave before the final battle made me just feel pity for him. He was a victim of circumstance in that one. But he tried to solve the problem in a wrong and evil way.

My point though is that if a game can make you feel something, it has a great story that you will remember and take with you.

I have...Kingdom Hearts' ending.

:'(

And I felt pretty sad back in the day when Shadow the Hedgehog was thought to have "died" in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.

:p

uhh... no.

No games or movies have done that to me, err wait, maybe one movie.

Some music does sometimes, like if you spent a ton of time with a girl and you kinda had your own song for the two of you, then when she leaves you can't stand the song anymore. I don't like that one much. : (

Yup.

I remember crying at the end of SA2:B, the ending for KHI and II, and the first time I played You're the Inspiration on EBA.

;_; Video Games can be really sad.

MGS 1 and 3 SPOILERS

I remember almost crying at the torture scene in MGS1 when snake find out that Meryll is dead (or so he thinks)

and at the end movie of MGS3 was really the most emotional thing in videogames for me, when the boss explains everything and Big Boss has to kill her its even worse because she was like a mother and it turns out shes not evil and she did it all to save america. It was to...emotional. Definately best story ever the MGS Games and if you get the chance play and beat them all even if just for the story and not the awesome gameplay.

dragonflamez said:
I can honestly say I've never cried during a game.

But ToS was definatly the most touching for me.
Dude I couldn't even get past the first ten minutes of that game... I was laughing too much at the voice acting. >.>

"Thats right billy, mana is produced by these trees."

Something like that... I just couldn't handle that... along with everyone having pink hair, it made me giggle too much.

I agree with the "videogames are like books" thing. They never make me cry, though.I have to admit, there are some sad parts in Twilight Princess.

I am fairly emotional when I watch movies, read books, or play video games....

I don't think I have ever really cried during a video game....although I shed a tear during Baten Kaitos Origins.

I've only cried once when reading a book: The end of the Amber Spyglass

...And I've cried when readingd manga. Pita Ten number...six, I believe, the end of Chrono Crusade.

...And I cried six times when watching the FMA movie.

...But if I do shed a tear in regards to entertainment, it is most often in movies.

*reads over post* I really do seem like a crybaby in this post, butg I really don't cry that much.

I've had watery eyes, but never really cried.

At the part where Midna is dying, that was a sad part. And the ending parts of KH, and KHII.

Flygon said:

At the part where Midna is dying, that was a sad part. And the ending parts of KH, and KHII.
AHHH!

>__<

I really shouldn't have read that post...

>__<

Gengar said:
Flygon said:

AHHH!

>__<

>__<
/is revenge! :0

That's what you get for posting that one TP spoiler. :0

Besides the post title said (slight TP spoilers)

OddCrazyMe said:
Gengar said:
Flygon said:

AHHH!

>__<

>__<
/is revenge! :0

That's what you get for posting that one TP spoiler. :0

Besides the post title said (slight TP spoilers)

I can't believe you remember that Odd!

Yeah, the title said TP Spoilers...but...Agh!

And, in that old post, I said, IN BOLD; "CAUTION: SPOILERS BELOW"

Triforce3force said:
I am fairly emotional when I watch movies, read books, or play video games....

I don't think I have ever really cried during a video game....although I shed a tear during Baten Kaitos Origins.

I've only cried once when reading a book: The end of the Amber Spyglass

...And I've cried when readingd manga. Pita Ten number...six, I believe, the end of Chrono Crusade.

...And I cried six times when watching the FMA movie.

...But if I do shed a tear in regards to entertainment, it is most often in movies.

*reads over post* I really do seem like a crybaby in this post, butg I really don't cry that much.
Speaking of crying while doing any of that other stuff, I honestly admit I got teary-eyed while watching "Grave Of The Fireflies"... The ending was REALLY sad... And I think I cried when reading book 5 of the Nausicaa manga, when she goes to the forest and speaks to the spirit about the meaning of the forest and etc... That was a sad moment as well.

I'm not normally teary-eyed by the way. >_>

Back