• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Why you shouldn't read reviews.

ƒish

Retired Staff
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
These days its impossible to find someone with an opinion, the first guy that says something is pretty much the opinion of everyone else, as I've noticed reading reviews of twilight princess. The first one I read was by IGN, and since it came out every complaint they've had against the game has appeared in EVERY OTHER REVIEW I've seen of the game.

This is a public rant to anyone reviewing games. I don't care about Zelda using midi format, i doubt you do either, infact, i doubt you even noticed it until IGN pointed it out. unorchestrated music is part of Zelda, changing that would be taking something out, and it would be deeply missed by any true fan. Voice-overs have never made Zelda any better, we've seen the TV show, we don't want that in the game, so why the heck is everyone crying about having to read text? can you not read or something? Text is part of what makes Zelda different, it lets YOU decide what characters say, if you're too fat and lazy to read a few lines of text, maybe picture books are the way to go. Voiceovers destroy games, its risky business to include them, so putting them in zelda is like flirting with explosives.

The controllers on the Wii are fine, If you're really having a hard time swinging a four ounce stick around its probably time to lose weight. Yes, the Shield attack is a lot more difficult on the Wii version, I bet its a lot more difficult in real life as well, we want realism, then when we get it we whine that its too hard to understand? why must we double cross ourselves? There are six buttons on the wiimote, why is it so hard for people to figure out where they are? It took me about five minutes to figure out the wiimote.

This is yet another reason why you cannot trust a reviewer... they usually have little to no idea what they're talking about, if a game is this good and you're that anal about finding something "bad" in it, you may as well quit playing games, because they'll never please you anymore.

/rant

Good rant, I agree with almost everything. The only thing I disagree with is with your stance on MIDI music... I honestly thought it detracted from the epic experience. It was fine in OoT and WW since those games were not as close in "epicness" (yay for inventing words) as TP is... TP deserves better. Any true gamer AND musician will tell you that.

I think the controls are fine, and I would hate it if there were voice overs. It would ruin the game... one thing I would complain about if I wrote a review is that it tells me how much a friggen blue rupee is every time I reset the game. The shield attack works fine for me now, and you don't use it very often at all... I Havn't even read the IGN review, so... yeah.

I agree with most everything, Inculding the part about MIDI music. If it didn't have it, it would miss something.

However, I have TP for Gamecube, so I can't say about the controller stuff...

:p

Bulerias said:
Good rant, I agree with almost everything. The only thing I disagree with is with your stance on MIDI music... I honestly thought it detracted from the epic experience. It was fine in OoT and WW since those games were not as close in "epicness" (yay for inventing words) as TP is... TP deserves better. Any true gamer AND musician will tell you that.
They kept midi's because thats a trademark of Zelda... just like the Kirby music never changes, if it did it just wouldn't feel like a Kirby game, same goes for Zelda, I think they could change the overworld music to orchestrated, but the songs, heck no, they have to be the way they are, if they ever change the "secret" sound, or try to make it 'better' i'd be mad, its a trademark of Zelda. : (

Wait, did you miss something? People are allowed to complain about whatever they want. We're moving into a higher technological level, so newcomers to the Zelda series have a right to wonder WTH's up with the lack of voiceovers. Orchistrated music has been used in a lot of lower quality games. And the control shceme is quirky to anyone who hasent used the Wii before.

You have no right to say that people cant find things bad in games. No game is perfect, and it sometimes sickens me when people put TP on too high of a pedestal. They can complain about whatever they want. I agree with all your points, but if people see something wrong in it, they're allowed to point it out.

/counterrant

Back