Smash Bros Smash Ultimate Tips

Etown20

Bells
I recently picked up Smash Ultimate. I've played a couple prior games in the series but it was a long time ago so I feel like I'm starting from scratch.

I was wondering if anyone has tips or recommendations for videos/tutorials on how to improve at the game? I've watched a handful of videos/tutorials on YouTube but I haven't really watched one where everything has clicked for me, if that makes sense.

I'm not trying to become pro level or anything, my goal is really just to be able to play online without getting my butt kicked, ha.

Here are my tips:
  • Don't mash or spam attacks, attack/punish accordingly or be punished.
  • Don't be so aggressive with the joy stick part, a slight tilt of the stick is more than enough to register an input.
  • Jump and attack allows you to pull a short hop attack, it's good so I have my L and R as accordingly to short hop.
  • Grabbing someone while shielding is perfect. Remember that.
  • Set your c stick to tilt attacks because I personally have a hard time to pull off tilt attacks.

Here are my tips:
  • Don't mash or spam attacks, attack/punish accordingly or be punished.
  • Don't be so aggressive with the joy stick part, a slight tilt of the stick is more than enough to register an input.
  • Jump and attack allows you to pull a short hop attack, it's good so I have my L and R as accordingly to short hop.
  • Grabbing someone while shielding is perfect. Remember that.
  • Set your c stick to tilt attacks because I personally have a hard time to pull off tilt attacks.

This is great, thanks! I should definitely give the alternate controls a try as I am finding tilts difficult to pull off as well.

I've been using X+A for short hop attack (pro controller), but I've read about people switching it to the shoulder buttons so I will have to give that a try. Does that mean your grabs or shield are X/Y?

This is great, thanks! I should definitely give the alternate controls a try as I am finding tilts difficult to pull off as well.

I've been using X+A for short hop attack (pro controller), but I've read about people switching it to the shoulder buttons so I will have to give that a try. Does that mean your grabs or shield are X/Y?
I use L and R for short hops and ZL and ZR for shield and grabs.

I find becoming familiar with lots of characters helps because then at least you'll sort of know what to expect from opponents. Also the plus to trying different characters is that you'll quickly learn what types you like and which you don't.

Hmm, I'd advise you to find a character to main. As simple as it may sound, finding a character you're willing to put a lot of time and effort to learn can be quite hard considering the size of the roster.

Hmm, I'd advise you to find a character to main. As simple as it may sound, finding a character you're willing to put a lot of time and effort to learn can be quite hard considering the size of the roster.

Yeah, it's a tricky balance. I spent the entire first week playing as Mario after seeing several videos saying he was a good character to learn the game with. While it's been fun to see myself improve over the week with Mario, I've also gotten a bit tired of only playing as Mario with such a big roster at my disposal.

On one hand, I understand it requires playing as one character a lot in order to become proficient with them. On the other hand, I feel I might be having more fun if I was switching up characters a bit more. I'm thinking of maybe picking 4 to 5 characters so I can gain some degree of proficiency with them but still experience some variety.

Yeah, it's a tricky balance. I spent the entire first week playing as Mario after seeing several videos saying he was a good character to learn the game with. While it's been fun to see myself improve over the week with Mario, I've also gotten a bit tired of only playing as Mario with such a big roster at my disposal.

On one hand, I understand it requires playing as one character a lot in order to become proficient with them. On the other hand, I feel I might be having more fun if I was switching up characters a bit more. I'm thinking of maybe picking 4 to 5 characters so I can gain some degree of proficiency with them but still experience some variety.
Oh, I can totally understand that. Playing just one character out of 80+ roster can be tiring. Just don't try to pick up a hard/complicated characters to play while you still learning the basics(I kinda made that mistake, I know what I'm talking about. It was a painful journey. But I don't regret it, sooo...)

Play Isabelle she's fun and trolly...

No, in all seriousness
Practice in training mode characters that appeal to you.

Learn what assist trophies do what or else they will be a pain.

I think you just have to find the type of gameplay style that fits you the most. Mine is aggressive trying to put pressure on someone by being up close and personal constantly. That's why I play a lot of speedy characters. Power characters like Ganondorf, King K. Rool and floaty characters usually work really bad with my style so I don't play them. If you prefer to play defensively, a character with a lot of different projectiles or good reach might work better for you. I'd just keep trying different characters and see which ones you think fit you the most. I don't really recommend doing 1v1 online with randos as the online is garbage. Arena lobbies are better even if there is queue.

Back